PROFESSIONAL PROFILE: Dr. Hideaki (Tim) Tanaka, Ph.D., is a licensed Acupuncturist and Practitioner of Kampo Medicine in Japan. Born and raised in Fukuoka, Japan, he received his training in acupuncture and traditional East Asian medical therapies in Tokyo and completed his doctoral studies in the United States. His experience also includes internships at esteemed institutions such as the WHO Collaboration Center for Sports Medicine at Tokyo Medical College, the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto, and the Internal Medicine Department at the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
In 1996, Dr. Tanaka was honored with the Excellent Research Award by the World Federation of Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society, a testament to his contributions to the field. He has delivered lectures in several countries, including the United States, Canada, the Netherlands, Hungary, China, and his home country, Japan. Concurrently, he served as a Visiting Research Fellow of Acupuncture at Tsukuba University of Technology. For decades, he has led The Pacific Wellness Institute, one of North America’s leading centers for complementary and alternative medicine.
Dr. Tanaka has co-authored textbooks on Japanese acupuncture and traditional massage, in addition to contributing to research papers in medical journals. His pioneering research is frequently referenced in scholarly papers, clinical textbooks, and public agency reports, notably the US National Institute of Health (NIH) Consensus Statement on Acupuncture. He has been serving as an Editorial Board member and peer reviewer for various medical journals. In 2018, his expertise was recognized with the Outstanding Reviewer Award from the international journal, Medicines.
Throughout his 30-year career, he has successfully applied his unique acupuncture and natural therapy program to treat a wide range of health conditions. He has performed over 100,000 acupuncture procedures, catering to a diverse clientele that includes many high profile figures.
- Ph.D. in Medical Science (USA)
- Licenced Acupuncturist (Japan)
- Licensed Moxibustion Practitioner (Japan)
- Licensed Shiatsu, Anma, Massage Therapist (Japan)
- Biofeedback Board Certified (BCIA Senior Fellow)
- Registered Massage Therapist (RMT)
- Registered Nutritional Consultant (RNCP)
- Registered Orthomolecular Health Practitioner (ROHP)
- Advanced Herbology/Chinese Medical Gynecology, BP Institute, USA
- Acupuncture-Moxibustion Department, Tsukuba College of Technology, Japan
- WHO Collaboration Center for Health Promotion through Research and Training in Sports Medicine, Tokyo Medical College, Japan
- Behavioral Cardiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- TCM Internal Medicine (Advanced Clinical), Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China
- Electrophysiology/Applied Physiology (Heart Rate Variability, Surface EMG, Autonomic Reflex)
- Investigation of Physiological Effects of Acupuncture and Traditional Medicine Interventions
- Treatment of Migraines, Sports Injuries, Functional/Biological Rhythm Disorders (IBS, Sleep Disorders, Menstrual Conditions, etc.)
- Fertility Optimization using Acupuncture and Traditional East Asian Medicine
- Ph.D. Committee Member, Graduate School of The Union Institute and University, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Visiting Research Fellow, School of Health Sciences, Tsukuba University of Technology, Japan
- Mathews Journal of Nutrition & Dietetics
Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Clinical Research and Trials
- EC Gynaecology
International Reviewers Panel
- Medical Science Monitor: International Medical Journal for Experimental and Clinical Research
Served as Expert Reviewer for:
- Applied Sciences
- BAOJ Cardiology
- BAOJ Medical and Nursing
- BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- BMJ Acupuncture in Medicine
- British Journal of Sports Medicine
- Complementary Therapies in Medicine
- Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal
- European Journal of Integrative Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- Evidence Based Complimentary and Alternative Medicine
- Human Biology & Health Education
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences
- International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
- International Medical Case Reports Journal
- Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies
- Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine
- Journal of Clinical Medicine
- Journal of Integrative Medicine
- Journal of Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy
- Medical Science Monitor
- Nature – Scientific Reports
- Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface
- OBM Integrative and Complementary Medicine
- Patient Preference and Adherence
- Women’s Health Reports
- The sensory reflex session, The 53rd Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Chiba, Japan, June 2004
- Autonomic nervous system session, The 57th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Kyoto, Japan, May 2008
- Excellent Research Award from the World Federation of Acupuncture Societies, 1996
- CMTO Research Grant 2000 for Massage and Muscle Fatigue / Muscle Blood Flow Study (Principal Investigator)
- 2018 Outstanding Reviewer Awards from International Peer-reviewed medical journal, Medicines
- Executive Council Member: Professional College of Acupuncture and TCM, Ontario (1999-2002)
- Board Member: Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Association of Canada (1996-2011)
- Program Director: Post Graduate Acupuncture Course: The Pacific Wellness Institute – Acupuncturists Upgrade Training Center designated by CMACC (1996-2004)
- Senior Fellow: Biofeedback Certification International Alliance
- Member: Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion
- Member: Nutritional Consultants Organization of Canada
- Member: Japan Society for Oriental Medicine
- Member: Association of East Asian Medicine
Kuge, H., Mori, H., Wada, T., Watanabe, M., Tanaka, TH. et al. The Effects of Anma (Traditional Japanese Massage)—Randomised Trial. Health Vol.14 No.7，July 18, 2022
Kuge, H., Mori, H., Tanaka, TH. et al. Reliability and Validity of Facial Check Sheet (FCS): Checklist for Self-Satisfaction with Cosmetic Acupuncture. Medicines . 8(4), 18, 2021
Kubota, T., Mori, H., Morisawa, T., Hanyu, K., Watanabe, M., Tanaka, TH. Influence of electroacupuncture stimulation on skin temperature, skin blood flow, muscle blood volume and pupil diameter.Acupuncture in Medicine. doi 10. 1136, 2019
Kuge, H., Mori, H. Morisawa, T, Hanyu, K., Miyazaki, J, Watanabe, M, Tanaka, TH. Effect of Different Dosages of ST36 Indirect Moxibustion on the Skin Temperature of the Lower Legs and Feet. Medicines, 15(52) pii:57, 2018
Mori, H. Kuge, H., Sakaguchi, S., Tanaka, TH et al. Determination of symptoms associated with hiesho among young females using hie rating surveys.Journal of Integrative Medicine. 16(1), 2018
Tanaka, T.H. Dietary tradition, nutritional theories and science. Mathews Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2(1):011, 2017
Kubota, T., Mori, H., Mrisawa, T., Hanyu, K., Kuge, H., Watanabe, M., Tanaka, TH. Evaluating Training Programs for Electroacupuncture Techniques with Skin Temperature as a New Index. Health Vol.9 No.11, 2017
Mori, H., Kuge, H., Watanabe, M., Tanaka, T. H. Does electroacupuncture influence skin temperature, skin blood flow, and muscle blood volume among stimulation sites? Medical Acupuncture. 28 (6):325-330, 2016
Miyazaki, J., Kuge, H. , Mori, H., Izumi, E., Tanaka, T. H. et al. A moxa stimulation on the leg affected the function of stomach via autonomic nerve system and polymodal receptors. Health. 8 (8):749-755, 2016
Sakaguchi, S., Kuge, H., Mori, H., Miyazaki, J., Tanaka, T.H. et al. Extraction of items identifying hiesho (cold disorder) and their utility in young males and females. Journal of Integrative Medicine. 14(1): 36-43, 2016
Tanaka, T.H. Tongue diagnosis: relationship between sublingual tongue morphology in three tongue protrusion angles and menstrual clinical symptoms. Journal of Integrative Medicine. 13(4):248-56, 2015
Mori, H. Kege, H., Watanabe, M., Tanaka, T.H. Near-infrared spectroscopy and hydrogen clearance: is there any difference between these two methods of muscle blood volume estimation? Acupuncture in Medicine 32:167-171, 2014
Mori, H., Kuge, H., Tanaka, T. H. et al. Influence of different durations of electroacupuncture stimulation on skin blood flow and muscle blood volume. Acupuncture in Medicine 32:167-171, 2014
Kuge, H., Mori, H., Tanaka, T. H. et al. Difference between the effects of one-site and three-site abdominal hot-stone stimulation on the skin-temperature changes of the lower limbs. Journal of Integrative Medicine 11(5) 314-319, 2013
Mori, H., Kuge, H., Tanaka, T. H. et al. Effects of acupuncture treatment on natural killer cell activity, pulse rate, and pain reduction for older adults: an uncontrolled, observational study. Journal of Integrative Medicine: 2013, 11 (2), 101-105
Mori, H., Kuge, H., Tanaka, T. H. et al. Is there any difference in human pupillary reaction to acupuncture between light- and dark-adaptive conditions? Acupuncture in Medicine 30:109-112, 2012
Mori, H., Tanaka, T. H., Kuge, H., Sasaki, K. Is there a difference between the effects of one-point and three-point indirect moxibustion stimulation on skin temperature changes of the posterior trunk surface? Acupuncture in Medicine, 30:27-31, 2012
Mori, H., Tanaka T.H., Kuge, H., et al. Is there a difference between the effects of single and triple indirect moxibustion stimulations on skin temperature changes of the posterior trunk surface? Acupuncture in Medicine, 29:116-121, 2011
Mori, H., Tanaka, TH., Kuge, H.,et al. Is there any difference in human pupillary reaction when different acupuncture points are stimulated? Acupuncture in Medicine, 28:21-24, 2010
Nolan, R.P., Jong, P., Barry-Bianchi, S.M., Tanaka, T.H., et al. Effects of Drug, Biobehavioral and Exercise Therapies on Heart Rate Variability in Coronary Artery Disease: A Systematic Review. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, 15, 386-396, 2008.
Mori, H.; Ueda, S.; Kuge, H.; Taniwaki, E.; Tanaka, T. H. et al. Pupillary Response Induced by Acupuncture Stimulation–An Experimental Study. Acupuncture in Medicine, 26, 79-86, 2008.
Mori, H., Ohsawa, H., Tanaka, TH., Taniwaki, E., Leisman, G., Nishijo, K. Effect of Massage on Blood Flow and Muscle Fatigue following Isometric Lumbar Exercise. Medical Science Monitor, 10(5): CR173-8, 2004
Tanaka, T.H., Leisman, G., Mori, H., Nishijo, K. The Effect of Massage on Localized Lumbar Muscle Fatigue. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2:9, 2002
Tanaka, T.H., Nishijo, K. Influence of Acupuncture Stimulation on Dynamic Electromyographic Activity. Journal of The Japan Society of Acupuncture, Vol. 48, No. 2, 105-119, 1998
Tanaka, T.H., Leisman, G., Nishijo, K. Dynamic Electromyographic Study on Acupuncture: Possible Influence in Synergistic Coordination. International Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 95, 51-61, 1998
Tanaka, T.H., Leisman, G., Nishijo, K. The Physiological Responses Induced by Superficial Acupuncture: A Comparative Study on Acupuncture Stimulation During Exhalation Phase and Continuous Stimulation. International Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 90, No. 1-2, 45-58, 1997 (Listed in the National Institute of Health, Consensus Statement on Acupuncture, September, 1997)
Tanaka, T.H. The Somatic Reaction Induced by Acupuncture Stimulation: Autonomic Nervous System Response and Electromyographic Activity. Dissertation Abstracts International, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1996
Other Publications (Non-Peer-Reviewed)
Ozaki, A., Wakayama, I., Tanaka, T., Suzuki, T., Shinbara, H. Effects of Acupuncture and Moxibustion on Muscle diseases and Muscular Functions / Metabolism and the Status of These Techniques. Journal of The Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion. Vol. 54, No. 5, 698-716, 2004
Tanaka, T.H. Acupuncture Status in Canada: Summary of Educational, Social and Legislative Issues in Ontario. Journal of The Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Vol. 51, No. 5, 623-627, 2001
Tanaka, T.H. The Possibilities for Optimizing Acupuncture Treatment Results through Synchronization with Somatic State: Examination of Autonomic Response to Superficial Needling During Exhalation. American Journal of Acupuncture, Vol. 24, No. 4, 233-239, 1996
Tanaka, T.H. Neuromuscular Response Induced by Superficial Acupuncture Stimulation. The Journal of Japanese Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Vol. 55, No 12, 27-34, 1996
Tanaka T.H.: Within Subject Variability in Tongue Sublingual Vein Morphology and Color Characteristics. 62th Annual Meeting Of the Japan Society for Oriental Medicine, Sapporo, Japan, June 2011
Tanaka T.H.: Tongue Examination of Sublingual Veins: Intrasubject Variability in Four Diagnostic Parameters. ICMART 2011 World Congress on Medical Acupuncture,The Hague, Netherlands, May 2011
Tanaka, TH. Standardization of Sublingual Tongue Diagnosis, 7th World Congress on Chinese medicine, The Hague, Netherlands, Oct 2010
Tanaka, T.H. Enhancement of Acupuncture Effects with Auditory Assisted Slow Breathing, WHO Congress on Traditional Medicine, Beijing, China, 2008
Tanaka, T.H. Potentiating the Autonomic Effects of Acupuncture by Proactive Use of Respiration, ICMART XIII World Congress, Budapest, Hungary, 2008
Tanaka, T.H. Integration of Acupuncture and HRV Biofeedback, 57th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Kyoto, Japan, May 2008.
Tanaka, T.H. Fertility Difficulties Treated By Acupuncture: Analysis of 76 Pregnancy Cases. The 20th Year Anniversary WFAS International Acupuncture Congress, (co-sponsored by the World Health Organization), Beijing, China, Oct 2007.
Tanaka, T.H. Influence of acupuncture on muscle coordination revealed by dynamic electromyographic evaluation. Paper presented at the symposium: Status of Acupuncture and Moxibustion at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Chiba, Japan, June 2004. [Paper]
Tanaka, T.H. The Creation and Efficacy of a HRV-Autonomic Trainer CD in Assisting Heart Rate Variability Biofeedback Training: Preliminary Report. Paper presented at the 34th Annual Meeting of Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Jacksonville, Florida March 27-30, 2003.
Tanaka, T.H., Mori, H., Leisman, G., Nishijo, K. Influence of Local Massage Application on Fatigue Scale and EMG Power Spectrum During Sustained Muscle Contraction. Paper presented at the 34th Annual Meeting of Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Jacksonville, Florida March 27-30, 2003.
Tanaka, T.H., Mori, H., Leisman, G., Nishijo, K. Effect of Massage on Muscle Fatigue and Recovery. Paper presented at the International Symposium on the Science of Touch, Montreal Canada, May 16-18, 2002.
Tanaka, T.H., Nishijo, K. Electrophysiological Study of Acupuncture Stimulation Synchronized with Patient’s Respiratory Rhythm. Paper presented at the 32nd Annual Meeting of Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Raleigh-Durham, NC, March 29-April 1, 2001.
Tanaka, T.H. Physiological Effects of Superficial Acupuncture: The Technique Focusing on Patient’s Respiratory Rhythm: Paper presented at the 7th Symposium of the Society for Acupuncture Research, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, October 21-22, 2000.
Tanaka, T.H. Superficial Acupuncture Needling Technique Utilizing Patient’s Biological Rhythm: Summary of Study Findings Using Various Physiological Indexes, Paper presented at the 4th World Congress of Medical Acupuncture and Natural Medicine, Edmonton, AB, August 25-27, 2000.
Tanaka, T.H. The Role of Acupuncture in Enhancing Synergistic Coordination: A Study Using Dynamic EMG Assessment, Invited presentation at the 5th Symposium of the Society for Acupuncture Research, Stanford University, CA., September 26-27, 1998.
Tanaka, T.H., Nishijo, K. The Effect of Acupuncture on Correcting Muscle Asymmetry: Dynamic Electromyographic Study. Paper presented at the XIIth Congress of the International Society for Electrophysiology and Kinesiology, Montreal, QE., June 27-30, 1998.
Tanaka, T.H. The Influence of Acupuncture on Synergistic Coordination. Paper presented at the 29th Annual Meeting of Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, Orlando, FL., April 1-5, 1998.
Tanaka, T.H., Nishijo, K. Comparative Study on Acupuncture Stimulation During A Patient’s Exhalation Phase Only and Continuous Stimulation. Excellent Paper Award presentation at the 4th World Conference on Acupuncture, New York, 1996.
Anma, Massage, Shiatsu no Kouka, (Efficacy of Anma, Massage, Shiatsu: Comprehensive Review of Touch Therapy Research, An Illustrated Basic Protocol of Anma, Massage, and Shiatsu), Ishiyaku Publishers, Tokyo, Japan, March 2006 (In Japanese, Coauthored)
Shinkyu Kisojissyuu Noto (Fundamental Workbook of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion) Ishiyaku Publishers, Tokyo, Japan, January 2009 (In Japanese, Coauthored)
Breathing Training CDs
Calming Massage, Somerset Entertainment, 2007
(Participated in production as Scientific Advisor)
Breathing for Relaxation, Somerset Entertainment, 2009
(Participated in production as Scientific Advisor)
Embrace Your Fertility – Empowering You with Tools to Help You Succeed. Balboa Press, Bloomington, IN, 2016 (Coauthored)
Definitive Guide to Weight Loss – 17 Smart Ways to Permanently Shed Unwanted Pounds. Future Medicine Publications, Tiburon, California, 2000